Friday, May 29, 2009

New Sewers ~ Hurray!


I never thought I'd be one of those crazy people who got excited about sewers, but with the long, long, LONG struggle Ruston has faced to get this important piece of infrastructure repaired, I find I am just crazy enough to let out a little whoop when Mayor Bruce Hopkins emailed this map today.

I've only posted the meat of the picture in hopes it will show up better. The red lines are the Phase 1 new lines going in as soon as the Town can secure financing. The design is now complete and the project is 'shovel-ready' if a another round of stimulus money comes through. The issue was discussed at the last council meeting; read more here if you want details.

Even if you're not crazy enough to smile at a sewer map, just know Ruston is moving ahead to better days where we can finally flush with confidence. ~ Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Phase 1 include the most damaged lines? How were these chosen?

Ruston Home said...

Yes, these are the the lines that could fail at any time. The mayor mentioned a failure just last month in one of these areas. The town did an extensive tv camera survey of the system in about 1997 (I think) and this is the first major step in fixing the problems that were noted in that survey. The line was replacemented along Highland from 52nd to 54th about 10 years ago - if my memory serves me right.