Monday, January 24, 2011

Remembering A Promise

I'm not connected to Ruston's political pulse anymore. Maybe that's a good thing. I have other important things that need my attention right now. One of those things is a history book for our little town. Without the latest political action to share with you, I will instead share some of my historical discoveries.

I came across this note that former mayor Phil Parker left the night before he committed suicide. Phil was a good friend and his decision tore a huge hole in many of our hearts. I share one of his dying wishes here in the hope that our current leaders, many of whom never had the privilege of knowing our bearded friend in Birkenstocks, will find a way to plant a tree or two in his memory soon...

Karen

2 comments:

Beth said...

like it was yesterday, :( R.I.P.

Knowing Phil like we did, his request was not to honor himself but meant to honor and improve the Town that he loved. That's just what Phil was about....

Rockmann Investments LLC said...

Thank you for posting this, Karen. Myself and Phil's family look forward to honoring Phil and his dedication to the Town of Ruston with an event and memorial plaque soon.

Patty Mannie