Saturday, February 19, 2011

Echoes


Today was filled with ghosts for me; not the spooky kind - but echoes of the past bubbling from the subconscious. Maybe it was the talk of Phil Parker this week that softened that wall between my past and the present, but watching Gerald and Carol Tritt's old house burn today awakened long buried memories.

More of my heart was tied to that old house than I'd realized. Many of our early days in Ruston were spent in the living room that burned today, many a political strategy session was waged under the old apple tree in the back yard. Gerald and Carol gave 110% to this town for over a decade.

I could almost hear Gerald in the adrenaline-pumped voices of the young firefighters today. I could see the gleam in his eye in the sparkle of excitement in those men and women who learned more burning his old house than they could ever learn in a classroom. I could sense him doing a high-five with those huge flames as they shot heavenward from the roof.

Ruston has changed so much, most of it for the better. But there are so few here now who share the memories of this town's past - who lived and walked these streets over a lifetime. That's not a bad thing, but it makes the echoes more precious, more fragile. So to Gerald and Carol, thank you for all you gave to this town. We have not forgotten your sacrifice. Your old house served the department you loved very well today...

3 comments:

Beth said...

Karen,
Your reflections are so right on. Thank you for weaving the history and heart of our community into words.

As tough as things are these days, we continue making memories together.

Beth

Unknown said...

Carol and Gearld are my grandpa and grandma, although personally I don't remember memories that filled those hallways my mother does. It was hard even for me to look at these photos today, thinking of the man who had the biggest heart in the world and taught me many things. I love you grandpa and miss you more than you can imagine.

xo your grandaughter ashlie

Unknown said...

Gearld and Carol are my grandpa & grandma, although I don't remember the memories that filled that house my mother does. I miss the man who taught me many things in life and who I love with all my heart. Grandpa I know you were watching over the house today leading those firefighters in. miss you more than you can imagine.

xo your granddaughter ashlie