Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bookstore Closing

After a recent feature here on this blog, the current economic downturn has taken its toll on one of our local businesses. Point Defiance Books will be closing its doors soon. Proprietor James Bennett sent this note to friends and colleagues a few days ago. Both the business and James will be sorely missed. We wish him all the best in this new phase of life....

Hi all,

This is to let you know that as of Sept 30, 2009, I will be closing my bookstore. A hard look at the finances has convinced me that the wisest course is to close my "brick and morter" shop. The last year of losses has depleted my operating reserve and I cannot justify supporting the store out of other income or increasing use of credit. I will still be selling books online and at shows and events.

I want to thank you for your help to me over the past five years with your friendship and business.

This decision also finalizes my intention not to seek re-election as Ruston-Point Defiance Business District President when my current term ends in September. While I will not be at the August meeting due to a family vacation, you should begin work on a slate of officers for the membership to vote on in September/October. I will continue as a member as long as we are in the area, but do not want to be in an officer. Those slots should be taken by people who have an ongoing commitment to the business development of the area.

I have enjoyed working with you all and continue to have high expectations of success for the future of the Ruston area. Though it is a long time coming, I believe that the economic recovery will bless this area with the growth we have long expected.

Best wishes,
James

James Bennett
Point Defiance Books
"The Primary Source of Books for History Buffs"
5104 N. Pearl St.
Tacoma WA 98407

No comments: