Sunday, January 8, 2012

Growing Up In Ruston

DeeAnn Grip contacted me recently and shared this wonderful memory of growing up in our town in the early 70's, when the school was still open. Thanks for sharing, DeeAnn!
_____________________________________________
We had a very strong PTA with Mrs. Forch, Mrs. Mecklenberg, Mrs. Beardemphl, Mrs. Joyce, and others. So we had a lot of holiday school carnivals, and the teachers didn't have to worry about a thing. Well, at one point my 2 brothers were old enough to be in school with me, plus we had a preschool brother who would come.

One year (Halloween of '74, I think, 5th grade for me) my brothers and I got the bright idea to use our carnival tickets only for the cake walk. Why bring home plastic spiders and wax teeth when you can win a whole, beautifully decorated layer cake or sheet cake? With the 4 of us in each round, nobody else stood a chance!

We either won every cake available, or all but one. I remember Mrs. Mecklenberg in particular was fit to be tied. She tried to get the teachers to tell us we couldn't do the cake walk anymore, but the teachers wouldn't because the rules hadn't been clear. They never said we couldn't use all our tickets at one game. Then she tried to talk us out of it. That didn't work either.

Fortunately, we had a full sized upright freezer. I can still see myself opening that freezer door and seeing nothing but cakes in there. There must have been a dozen of them! We were set for every birthday, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc., for an entire year. We thought we were brilliant. Of course, they did change the rule the following year to "one win per child per family," but it was glorious while it lasted.

2 comments:

Jim said...

LOL of the day. wonderful story and funny.

David Robbecke said...

This was great reading about this. I went to Ruston School a little bit earlier. Each time I drive through Ruston, I get a little misty. When the smelter came down it was like losing an old friend. Seeing Mr. Larson at the school reunion three years ago, was great! He still sounded the same. It was like a time warp seeing him. Watching those condos go up blocking the bay from long time residents seems a little cruel. And wont someone PLEASE restore the Idle Hour?!?!