Thursday, December 27, 2007

New Voice on the Town Council

New council member Jim Hedrick started his political career in Ruston with a story. Although it’s old news now, what he said is worth putting on the record.

As you recall, Dan Albertson was appointed to fill the unexpected 2-year vacancy created when Bob Pudlo resigned on December 3, 2007. Jim began his story explaining how he was told that day that council member Mary Joyce would be resigning, as would Del Brewer. Bradley Huson and he were asked to take those seats a month early after winning the recent election. Although he was not comfortable with it, he reluctantly agreed. The rest of Jim’s first speech as council member is best told in his own words:

“I am very disappointed I won’t get to serve with Mr. Pudlo for the next 2 years. What we have now is a power grab going on, folks. It pains me to say this. I’ve been a council member all of 10 minutes, but I’m gonna tell you straight up this is a power grab.

Mr. Albertson is going to take the seat right next to me in 15 seconds. Have I been rendered useless? Has the town been rendered useless? We have acted appropriately up until now (appointing the winners of the election to fill the council seats they won)… We haven’t taken any other nominations. No one knew Mr. Pudlo was going to resign tonight. The public hasn’t had a chance to look at candidates or take testimony….

What I’m doing right now probably isn’t the politically smart thing to do because I’ve got to serve with these 4 gentlemen up here. But I’ve really got to tell you, I’ve got to flat out say it, this is a power grab we’re seeing here tonight folks and I hope you stay with me – because in 10 minutes time (in office) this has made my stomach turn and now I’ve got to spend 4 more years up here because you’ve elected me. God bless you for staying with me. Apparently it’s going to be a long 4 years.”

No comments: