Friday, September 12, 2008

Police Chief Resigning

Although not unexpected, Ruston's interim police chief announced her resignation this week. She will stay on until the end of the year, allowing time to find a permanent chief for the town. Her efforts at building bridges in this fractured community have been well received by all sides. Here is her resignation letter:
_________________________________________________________
September 9, 2008

Mayor Huson and Council Members,

It is with mixed feelings that I notify you of my intent to resign from my position as Chief of Police in the Town of Ruston effective January 1, 2009.

Since my initial employment in March 2008, I have committed to bringing positive changes to the police department and improving relationships in the community. Thanks to Mayor Transue’s initial confidence in me and all of your continued support, I have been provided an opportunity that continues to be a very gratifying experience.

Mayor Everding was instrumental in guiding a number of important projects to successful completion during his tenure and I appreciated his vision and guidance. My own goals and tasks have been primarily accomplished through enhanced communications, working with great community volunteers and identifying operational improvements within the department infrastructure.

Ruston PD is a team and nothing could have been accomplished during the last several months without the disciplined hard work of Sgt. Kunkel, and all the professional, dedicated officers who keep the Town safe 24/7.

While the town is undergoing an understandable number of growing pains and differences of opinion with regard to land development issues and identifying government priorities, I have been fortunate to have enjoyed the individual support and assistance of each of you as we sought to strengthen public safety in this community.

If you agree, during the next several weeks I will prioritize establishing processes to find a new Chief and for police officer recruitment and selection. I hope to live in the Ruston area during November and December before departing to the east coast to join my husband in Alexandria, Virginia. I continue to be grateful to serve as your Chief of Police and will look back on this time as a career highlight and with much fondness.

Warmest Regards,


Sharon M. Reese

C: Sgt. Jeremy Kunkel
Karen Carlisle, Town Clerk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know it would be a long shot.But Kim Wheeler was a very good police cheif back in the day.Has the Council asked him to apply?