Sunday, February 1, 2009

What Really Matters

The News Tribune has an article that outlines the potential closure of a program that is dear to my heart (click here). The last post about Point Defiance Elementary's PTA show us one way to support our kids, the Read 2 Me program is another.

The program works by asking community members to come to school once a week for 45 minutes to read with a struggling youngster. These children sometimes have challenges much bigger than reading. The short time of positive attention from an adult was far more valuable than the reading skills they invariably develop.

Although I haven't been able to participate for a few years, but when I did, that 45 minutes was the highlight of my week. It grounded me in the middle of my work week, reminding me of what is truly important. Building a relationship with a child over the course of the year was at least as valuable to me as it was to them. And getting those hugs, smiles and giggles made it worthwhile.

Watching each boy or girl grow in confidence, skill and hope ~ far beyond simply the reading ~ was one of the most important things I've done in my life. I don't have much to give, but I'm going to send in a few dollars. If you want to help, contact www.read2me.org or 253-272-7861

Karen

No comments: