Friday, April 12, 2013

Mary K. Joyce: 1929-2013

The News Tribune has a wonderful article (here) outlining Mary's many contributions to Ruston and to our greater community. There are few in this town, perhaps none, who have given or impacted Ruston more. Mary and I were often on opposite sides of political issues and she was a formidable opponent. But she was always respectful and gracious.

I remember Mary describing collecting water for her family from local streams as a child. She walked these hills before there were streets. She knew this town better than anyone. She seemed to always have an opinion. She was a strong leader and caring neighbor who touched many in this community.

I pray for peace for her family knowing her's was a life well-lived. I pray for continued inspiration from her decades of service for our town leaders in determination and vision. I pray for this community that Mary loved with all her  heart, that we honor her legacy with honesty, civility and grace in our public discourse - and a balanced budget. God's speed Mary, rest well. You've earned it.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Well said Karen. Mary was actually on my side as I fought to get the Winnifred Street bridge reopened. She was a true leader and protector of the budget in Ruston.
R.I.P. Mary K. Joyce