Thursday, October 23, 2008

Clarification about Council Member Albertson

We've had some discussion on a recent post about whether or not Council Member Albertson ever sued the Town of Ruston. I stated that Alberston had sued the town based on discussions and information that was provided at the time of the lawsuit (regarding the use of town property for a construction yard). The case lost the first time and again on appeal.

I've spoken to a couple of people involved in that legal action and gotten two different interpretations. But the person closest to the suit has clarified that Dan Albertson was not a party to the lawsuit. Albertson was the legal representative in the suit against Ruston. The recollection was that he did not charge anything.

I suppose one could make a case that acting as free legal counsel in a lawsuit is "suing" the town, but I think the reasonable interpretation is that Albertson did not directly sue the Town of Ruston. I hope we can put that rumor to bed ~ or at least repeat it giving all the facts.

We are a small town that thrives on rumors. I'm not perfect in what I present here (no one is, even big news media), but I try to be open, fair and factual. I encourage everyone to attend meetings in person and gather their own information from many sources. This blog is one piece of a big puzzle. No one should rely solely on what is posted here.

I hope this type of clarification helps us work together to build a better community.

Karen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Why couldn't you just leave the clarification that -

"the person closest to the suit has clarified that Dan Albertson was not a party to the lawsuit"

Why do you feel the need to add -

"I suppose one could make a case that acting as free legal counsel in a lawsuit is "suing" the town"?

One could then make the case about you - that your work for Asarco indirectly lead to arsenic contamination?

The bottom line is you talk about civility but you continue to take pot shots.

Anonymous said...

And aren't you glad so you can continue to ramble and take pot shots at Karen. Look at other stories, how off course they get...how many have you participated in? Glass houses....

Anonymous said...

I wasn't intending to take a "pot shot", but trying to explain how others had interpreted the situation. If you read the entire post, I clearly note that I do not agree with that interpretation. Let’s all relax a bit ~ we’re getting overly sensitive on every little detail. We are better served by looking at the big picture and keep things in context.

Anonymous said...

You misunderstood. My comments were to the first anonymous writer.

Anonymous said...

My last comment was in response to the first comment as well. You got your comment up just ahead of mine. Technology is great when it works!