Sunday, September 6, 2009

New Street Lighting

CORRECTION: I just confirmed with the mayor that the USDA loan was for the sewer project, not for the street lights. The project will be put out to bid both as 4 separate areas (by streets) and as a whole. Those bids will be the basis for seeking financing in the future for new street lights.

________________________________________________________

Here are a few more details about the new street lighting project. I believe the USDA loan was going to cover at least some of this project, but I am waiting for confirmation from the mayor. The first picture below is of the new lights that will be installed along Pearl Street. The second is the light for Highland, Winnifred and Shirley. The locations for these new lights are on the maps(click on it to enlarge). The lights along Winnifred will move to the sidewalks rather than in the median.

I recall asking one of my professors who had some expertize in urban architecture several years ago what he would suggest Ruston do to improve. His immediate response was to put in new, pedestrian friendly street lights. Its nice to see that finally happening.....






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good. I hope we can all see the positve in getting new and safe street lighting for ruston.
Thank you Mr Stebner for helping make this happen.

Anonymous said...

New street lighting will be most welcome. I like that it projects the light down. Now if we could just have a plan to get the bridge lights modified to shine down too. I am fan of dark skies where you can look up and see stars.