Saturday, May 29, 2010

Shaffer's Chevron Closing

Our corner gas station is closing its doors, at least for a time. Items in the store are for sale, clearing things out for revamping. The Shaffer family has lived in Ruston for decades and operated this business since 1955. They are a family-owned business that hearkens back to a different era; where neighbors knew each other by name and we lived, worked and shopped close to home. They have paid their taxes, walked with us through many economic ebb and flow changes, contributed time, money and energy to community causes.

We lose more than a business, we loose part of our history with this closure. I hope they can get things up and running again soon. Even with this short-term absence, it is a good opportunity to say thank you ~ for so much more than the taxes paid. You are part of us, Shaffer family. Thank you for 55 years of service ~ we hope for another 55 to start soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There isn't a new owner? Your report apparently is disputed by some.

Ruston Home said...

I have not heard of anyone buying the business. I have not heard of any disputes over this report either. If you have more information, please email me at kpickett22@yahoo.com or post your information here so it can be verified.

Anonymous said...

I sure hope there is a new owner for the gas station. Or a least the same owners. Ruston does not need any more boarded up buildings.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! Any ideas?

Ruston Home said...

I have confirmed that no one has purchased the business or building. The owner has stated they are closing for personal reasons.

Caroline said...

I am brokenhearted to see this family close their business. I have been a customer for over 15 years, my parents also. It's been a haven of honesty and good workmanship, not easy to find in the automotive biz. I pray they come back!!!! Wish I knew how to help them but I am praying for them for whatever they are going through.