Monday, April 21, 2008

Don't Name Names?

I had an interesting conversation Friday night at Point Ruston’s open house. My hubby and I were enjoying our delicious kosher hot dogs when Al Olson (Council Member Jane Krock Hunt’s partner) approached us. I started to introduce Al to my husband when he started this speech (as best I can remember):

“Karen, we’ve only spoken maybe 3 times. One of those times was when I helped with your school project. Yet you have written about me personally. If you write about me again without talking to me first, we’re going to have a problem.”

I stood up, feeling pretty intimidated and said ”It’s a political blog. I have a right to free speech. I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned you on the blog, but I will certainly take what you’ve said into consideration if I ever mention your name.” Then I sat back down and he left.

I did some research when I got home, and the only time I can see Mr. Olson was mentioned was in an anonymous comment on December 18, 2007 where he was correctly identified as having lost his bid to purchase the Ruston School and develop the building and adjacent land into market rate apartments.

I don’t think this confrontation deserves much attention. But I do think it warrants documentation. I continue to encourage open dialogue, and that means things like this need to be brought out into the open. We shouldn't be afraid to say what we think, or express our opinion even if it involves individual people. Civil does not mean silence. I hope Mr. Olson will join in the conversation if he ever feels there is inaccurate information presented about him here.

Karen

3 comments:

kevinfreitas said...

Well put, Karen. You're doing a wonderful service for the people and issues of Ruston. I agree that if anyone has a problem threats aren't warranted but engagement in the conversation certainly is.

Blogging is still a relatively new communication forum for many and that lack of understand can breed fear. Keep as open and welcoming as you can and, in time, that perception will subside.

Anonymous said...

Well documented, don't let people like that hold you back.

Nick said...

This sounds like it could be a case of someone spreading FUD . Perhaps Al Olson has not even seen your blog, but heard by word-of-mouth something negative/inaccurate.

As Kevin said, a lack of understanding is probably at the root of the problem - so keep up the good work. Encouraging participation in the dialog is definitely the right way to go.