Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's a Small World

I got an interesting email from someone who used to attend Ruston School that now lives in California. She's asking for information and shared memories. This is a great way to use this blog - connect and share... Please comment with your memories here or email Janet (rj2ch714@verizon.net). And send me any pictures you have of Ruston (kpickett22@yahoo.com) - let's build a memory bank of our history before we loose it! ~ Karen

Hi my name is Janet Darling, my last name used to be Clark. Back in the early 1970`s I attended a school called RUSTON ELEMENTARY. I was there for three years, Grades 1, 2, and 3rd. It was a beautiful school. All in brick. I don`t see "Ruston" listed on the current Tacoma District list of schools. I am a little saddened. It was my favorite school. It was a two story brick building with wide steps leading to the entrance of the school, with two wide double doors.

One teacher I remember working there at that time was Mrs. Oliver. She was a black teacher. She was very nice and funny. Once inside, there were stairs leading to the the top level where the office and gym were. The cafeteria was on the lower level. The classrooms were on the sides of the building lower and top.

The playground was on the left side and had swings, with a wire fence. This playground you could see the SMELTER down below. There was a huge, dirt play area in the back of the school with log play equipment.

If anyone has information, I would love to know what happened to it. Jefferson School somewhat resembles the old Ruston. Still not sure. I would have to see more pics. I hope to hear from you soon.

I used to live in some apartments across the street from Point Defiance Park. Ruston Elementary School was the opposite direction from where I lived. Would there be a year book from Ruston? I would love to get one. 1971 to 1973

Sincerely, Janet Darling
Fowler,Ca.

And a follow up email:
I am surprised that they built any homes on that smelters stack. I used also used to live in Alaska, Pyallup, Federal Way and Fife. I moved to California in 1976. I was going into the 4th grade. I graduated from Hoover High School in 1986. I am married and going on 20 years this July 9th. I have no kids. I have three cats.

Has anyone on your log with the name of Lori Rubetino posted on your web page? If so, she used to be my best friend who also attended Ruston. Last I heard she was living in Arizona. And another friend named Bonnie White. I would like to talk to them. I used to be in Brownies. I will try to send you photos of me.
Sincerely, Janet Darling
(Ruston School--Janet L. Clark) I had short blonde hair and thin.

Mailing Address :
P.O. BOX 777
Fowler Ca. 93625

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janet, these are some priceless photos! Thank you for taking the time to share them with the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

This thread almost begs the formation of another blog........ Maybe Ruston Reunion?