Thursday, April 3, 2008

More Ruston School History

These Ruston School photos were donated by Pete Tallman during my history research days. Pete grew up in Ruston. He, his dad, uncles and cousins all worked at the smelter. Pete's dad, Jeff, served many years on the Ruston Town Council.

One more note. I had a visit from a smelter retiree yesterday. He hasn't been out here for a few years. One thing that struck him after his many decades of working in Ruston was how quiet it is around here now. There was constant operation noise; the converter's hum, the whistle at shift change, constant movement 24 hours a day. Things really have changed ~ and most of us (myself included) have no idea what Ruston was like until just a few years ago...

Please excuse the poor quality, these are old fashioned photocopies:





More from Jim Wingard's files:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lemuel was my Dad. His birthname was Lemuel Leonhidist Wingard. He was known in the early days as Lem, Leon until settling on Leo L Wingard (Lemuel).

Mary Amanda Wingard was my grandmother who unfortunately died young.

L J Wingard was my grandfather Lemuel Jonathan Wingard known as LJ.

Anonymous said...

When I moved here about 30 years ago, the rumble of the smelter could be felt through your shoes. There was a muted roar even on Winnifred and constant squealing of conveyors was more or less depending on the wind and weather. It was a very loud silence when it finally shut down.

A burst water main above the pot line resulted in multiple explosions that required evacuation of the school. The only obvious damage was a hole in the side of the building. The size of the hole was hard to gauge in such a large building but it was big enough to toss a two-story house through. Just a little thump folks, move along, nothing to see here....

Anonymous said...

Is this the same Lemuel Wingard who worked as a fishery agent in Bristol Bay Alaska and later owned his own fish company?

James Wingard said...

to: Bob King said...
Is this the same Lemuel Wingard who worked as a fishery agent in Bristol Bay Alaska and later owned his own fish company?

I remember my Dad talking about his relative who owned a cannery in Alaska but the name escapes me. Contact was lost after the move, there wasn't the opportunities we have today.

Sorry, I will ask my aunt and followup.