Thursday, July 10, 2008

What Are Your Ideas?

The sunshine brings us out of our houses and gives rise to some neighborly conversations. A couple recent conversations have included ideas for visual improvements around town. I'll share them here and invite you to share your priorities. ~ Karen
  • Top the trees on BNSF hillsides: It's clear that many residents are very concerned about their views these days. Many years ago a group of residents got permission from the town and the railroad to top the trees on the hillside outside the playfield fence (at their expense). These scrub trees have continued to grow. Maybe its time to ask again. Its wonderful to have this green belt in the middle of Ruston, but these trees are one of the biggest view-blockers in town. A compromise is possible, with green, shorter trees along that whole corridor.
  • Re-paint "no parking" curbs, especially in high traffic areas: Some of our heavy construction areas are facing on-going parking challenges. Many years ago we had a volunteer effort from residents where curbs were painted and street numbers added. That effort has long faded and our town maintenance men are busy with other projects. Volunteer groups have planted trees and put on egg hunts and parties the last few years. Maybe its time to expand that effort to some paint parties.
  • Pedestrian-friendly lighting: This suggestion came from a former professor of mine with an architectural background. Consistent lighting that illuminates the sidewalk rather than the road encourages interaction between people, not cars. Having a consistent, lower lighting system would also help tie the streets together and create a stronger sense of place.
  • What are your ideas? How can we make Ruston better?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incentives to encourage new businesses to open in our Pearl District. Creating a "mini-proctor" in Ruston where we can all walk for dinner, groceries etc. would make life that much better here.

Anonymous said...

Here here.That sounds like a great idea! I wonder what kind of tax rate will be put in place to secure the towns reveue.

I hope this council will respect people with the drive and courage to make it happen.Help is needed to embrace and encourage growth.

This town has a wonderful opportunity ahead of it.

Beth T said...

Karen, I am jumping on board with this entry because I love this open forum. I personally, as well as many... will miss you as you move on (for a while!) with your new assignment in Arizona.

So...to all those that read this blog....take note, for the time being, we need someone to step up and keep this blog going with the balance and integrety that Karen has exposed us to. Karen has shown that it is possible to attend and report unbiased facts of events and encourage participation within our community. It can & does happen! I encourage more than one unbiased reporters as I believe we are all capable of decifering information for ourselves.

Please contact Karen. ASAP, to learn how to report facts on the blog before she takes on her new duties.

"What Are Your Ideas?" It's this kind of dialoge that inspires creative thinking that I personally don't want to lose.

As a founding member and current vice-president of the Ruston-Point Defiance Business District, I say, I personally really like the "Pearl District" referance from:
Anonymous #1! Much easier to say. I'm going to take that back to the membership for change & approval. Thank you #1 anonymous,and please step up and get involved with your Business Distrct.

Anonymous #2...Please step up and join us too. Help us recommend incentives for the Town Council to consider to "encourage" business growth. We need you!

I believe there are many great creative and team building ideas that our community can offer. I encourage anyone in our district, to join our organization to help guide and shape a Business District we can all be proud of.

Contact me @ bethtorbet@hotmail.com or stop in at the market anytime to share ideas for our community. I will take all of your ideas to the Business District for consideration. I love to brainstorm and help make dreams happen!

Beth Torbet/Don's Ruston Market
bethtorbet@hotmail.com
253-753-8151 store
253-381-1858 cell

...as you can see by the time of my post that I am available any time!

Anonymous said...

is karen moving?

Anonymous said...

With all the building that will go on down in the point ruston new ruston area- I fear it is too late to try to establish a proctor style business district in the pearl district of old ruston. The draw will be down to the water- new restaurants, bars, promenade, pier, etc.

I hope that is not the case.

Anonymous said...

No, I'm not moving. But this project in Arizona will require a fair amount of travel and I will be spending significant time down there during the week for the next several months. It’s a great opportunity and I'm excited.

I'm hopeful that we have built enough momentum here that the interest will continue even without a daily presence from me. I think this effort can and should come from many hands (as has been a growing trend – remember we’ve only started about 8 months ago).

But I will still be working on issues from down there and when I’m home (as I have been over several trips this last year). Technology is a great asset. I still love this community dearly and hold great hope for our future.

Anonymous said...

Alot of talk about the importance of businesses in our town,yet we seem to have a council that wants to force one out that's already established here. Then we have residents who move next to long standing businesses like the taverns and want to complain about long hours and noise.Not exacty enticing to new prospects.