- New sewer and garbage rate increases were approved, effective Jan. 18, 2008.
- An ordinance “providing for highway access management, access permits, and administrative process…” was passed as required by the state.
- Mayor Transue noted that he expects to hire an interim police chief in 4 to 6 weeks and have a permanent chief in place within 3 or 4 months.
- He also noted that the town had an agreement with Pierce County for police services if needed for SWAT situations, investigations and such. The town had not renewed that contract, so Tacoma had responded under mutual aid to the recent standoff. The town would be billed for their services, along with the considerable overtime used by town personnel.
- The Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement for the Point Ruston project is now available. The mayor did not feel the budget allowed for the town planner to do a full review.
- He will have the town planner get the design completed for a new sewer system, but felt the budget did not allow for anything more without more funding.
- He has agreed to compromise and will sign the contract for the prosecuting attorney that Council Member Albertson had negotiated with Christa Swain.
- There was discussion about allowing council members to waive the requirement that they each be given written notice of special meetings if the details of the meeting were set at a council meeting with them present.
- Council Member Huson announced that Sherri Forch will be organizing the Pancake Breakfast for Easter this year. She was not allowed to talk about it until her 2 minutes of public comment so as to remain consistent with the new council rules.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Council Meeting Notes, Jan. 22nd
Just a few more notes about things that were discussed at the last council meeting on Jan. 22nd, besides the new rules the council adopted. The next meeting is tomorrow, Monday, Feb. 4th at 7 pm at the school building.