Thursday, May 8, 2008

Phil Parker and Ruston

"It's a small world" doesn't begin to describe how life can sometimes have eerie similarities. Today, two pieces of Ruston's small world came together on my Google news alert ~ the Phil Parker blog entry on Ruston.

We had our own Phil Parker in Ruston. He served us well as a longtime council member and mayor. I still miss seeing his bushy beard parked on the soda fountain window seat at Don's Market. He had a wonderful quiet sense of humor and calm sensible leadership that I miss. He was an important influence both on my life personally and on Ruston until life overwhelmed him.

There is also a train engine bearing the name Ruston. The Phil Parker on my news alert has a blog entry that discussed building a "bonnet" to shelter such a engine.

A gentle reminder that life is fragile, that community matters and that we should tell each other often that we care. That's the "bonnet", the legacy of our Phil Parker.

Karen

No comments: