Sunday, August 10, 2008

What Others Think:

John Trueman had a particularly interesting testimony at the Point Ruston Master Development Plan hearing last Thursday, bringing up some new points. Here are his comments to the planning commission:

(Name, address)… I’ve a resident of Tacoma since 1979. I’ve been a former business owner in the Town of Ruston and still own commercial property here. I’ve followed this since I moved here. I’m a commercial real estate appraiser by nature. I’ve been an appraiser since 1972. I’ve been involved in the Old Town Business and Professional Association, another business district. I’m currently a member of the Ruston-Point Defiance Business District also and I’m on the state committee for Main Street. I believe in redevelopment and this is a wonderful opportunity. I think Mr. Cohen has assembled a really good staff. I’ve know JJ for many years. She’s a good quality person. I listened to David Allen last fall among these meetings. These are really good people and they’ve really done a very good job. Unfortunately I think Mr. Cohen is probably going to loose the rest of his hair before this is over. But I think he’s really taken on a challenge and I think he’s come up with a wonderful plan.

One of the highlights I thought tonight was the pedestrian friendly. If you follow the City of Tacoma lately they’ve been getting beat up regularly for lack of pedestrian friendly. The poster child for that is Tollefeson Plaza. These people have come in (pointing to Cohen’s team) and took a site that I think will accommodate that very well and have done a really, really good job. I think that’s important in our future as we’ve had gas go up, people are driving less, they’re bicycling more, they’re more walking more and this is just a wonderful plan to bring that in.

It’s a very expensive site to develop. I think they’ve done a good job to ensure that it will be developed successfully. I came into Old Town when the Silver Cloud came in. I’ve watched them for up to 8 years. People came out of the woodwork to oppose that because of the view impairment, they were worried if they didn’t make it they’d have an empty building on the water. The Silver Cloud has been very successful. They’re a wonderful neighbor, they are very generous. They’ve really been a big benefit to Old Town. I don’t think you could get a better hotel partner on a project like this.

So again, I really, really think this is a quality – a very well designed mix use development. I think the way its set up its going to be successful. We’re in challenging times today now though. While speed might not be on the essence, it’s important that you get this approved and move on. This has been a very huge problem site for many years and a large number of people I’m sure have looked at it. I think you’ve got a quality developer here that’s really done a good job. I really think it’s important that you work with him to get him off the ground and going. It will be huge for Ruston and also for Tacoma. Thank you.

No comments: