Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ruston's Baseball Team

Did you know we have a baseball team named after us? The Ruston Monarchs are a local team from the Pierce County Baseball League. Ruston's own Dan Wombacher is on the team and the general manager Daryl Frank lives just outside our borders. The team's schedule is now linked (to the right). Stop in for some all-American fun! Daryl gives us some background:

The Monarchs were founded in 2000 by current GM/pitcher/outfielder/1st baseman Daryl Frank, who currently lives just outside the Ruston limits at 51st & Whitman. The Pierce County Baseball League currently has teams from Tacoma, Puyallup, Eatonville, University Place and Gig Harbor along with the Ruston Team.

The Monarchs worked with has contributed to both the Bellarmine Prep and Pacific Lutheran University baseball programs with construction costs and labor ( Dan Wombacher's specialty) in building batting cages, dugouts, clubhouses, concession stands, and equipment storage buildings. Former PLU coach, Larry Marshall, was integral in allowing the Monarchs to use their facilities for many years as the teams home field.

Local notables who have played for the Monarchs include former UW quarterback Billie Joe Hobert. Former White Sox AAA Prospect David Bingham currently is on the roster and has the league record for most homers in a season. Other players on the roster with Professional experience include Ron Gee and Daryl Frank.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me wish I could go back to the old days when I was a hot shot third baseman, rifle arm, weak bat.

Anonymous said...

Jim.Turns out we need a good third basemen.Are you available?

Anonymous said...

Now that's sportsmanship!

Beth T said...

Ok, the schedule for the 2008 season will be posted at Ruston Market. THIS IS SO COOL!! Maybe we can get our own Dan Whombacher to have a Ruston Monarch shirt signing to support the team. We would need to order the team shirts or sweatshirts from their web site then set up a team signing. How refreshing it is to support a positive & healthy sport!

Anonymous said...

I would like to tryout but athleticism is fleeting me: Hard ball to softball to slow pitch to little league and now?
They finally had a team meeting and told me I was being traded to the tee ball league for a blue cap.
The first game with the bases loaded, I was sent in as a pinch runner at second base, having struck out last time at bat.
I ran one way and there was a player coming at me, I ran the other way and there was a player coming at me so I cut across the mound and scored to a big cheer.
That's when I realized the game had passed me by.
I saw the manager coming and new the jig was up. Yup, I was right from now on I am a GOLFER only!

Anonymous said...

When does the 2009 schedule come out?