Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What Others Think


This comment came in response to my exhortation to read the News Tribune's editorial on June 6th. It represents a different point of view from what we usually hear on this blog, so I wanted to get it out front. I've added some responses at the end. I appreciate hearing from those who disagree with me ~ its a healthy discussion when all points of view can be freely aired. Thanks to whomever posted this, it got me thinking!

Karen
________________________________________________________
The editor's don't live in Ruston to have endured a history of stagnant government and continued mismanagement.

This really goes hand in hand with why Obama is in the position he is in - it's about "Change".

Many residents have approached past council's and mayors only to be met with resistance because many times change equals work for either group.

No one is giving this council credit for their individual make-up. This is a very diverse group of elected officials that are willing and able to have their own opinions and express them. They all stand for "Change" and the status quo is unacceptable. I surmise that the editors are right - it might be an "us versus them" situation but it is not the condo issue - its change versus stagnation. Right or wrong, change or stagnation, new verses old, anti-condo or pro-condo - how ever you want to spin it the town needed change. Ruston needed to evolve and move ahead and it simply wasn't happening. Once the Commencement is built and you are looking at it in all its glory - maybe you will finally admit "Yes" its wonderful - but maybe it could have been a couple of stories shorter?

What has this council done that has you so riled up? Not letting the public rant on every topic actually saves the town money. We were paying our consultants hourly, not to mention town employees overtime, while everyone in the audience got up and felt they needed to tell everyone their opinion. I don't know why you would be angry over them attempting to save the town money? What ordinances have they passed or decisions have they made that you find so outlandish? (Other than moving public comment to the end of the meetings)

I have seen the current council approve the purchase of a new fire truck, approve the purchase of a new police car, and talk about upgrading all departments as well as our town's tired infrastructure. What is so bad that has you fighting and speaking out at every turn? Your credibility continues to erode and - until there are documented missteps - I would think you would be supportive of our elected officials.

Let's remember - the media feeds on controversy so always take them with more than a grain of salt.
_________________________________________________________
I don't agree that the foundational issue is change vs. stagnation. Most of the controversy started when former Mayor Wheeler started making decisions on issues that had been studied to death under previous administrations. Unfortunately, I think much of the current challenge is directly related to the condo controversy and the remaining bitterness. The anger, fighting and attacks have been embarrassing and caused many to fear expressing their views. I am reluctant to have any more conversations with Jane Hunt, for example. The trend that began with the condo debate has gone from bad to ugly in the ensuing years. I've attended most council meetings for the last 20 years or so. I've watched it evolve.

It's not the removal of public comment that is my primary concern. That is a symptom of a much deeper problem ~ one of close-mindedness where only certain people are welcome to provide input. I don't think the council (no matter who they are) can make the best decisions for this community when they exclude minority voices.

I've agreed with this council on issues at least as much as I did with former Mayor Transue. I've said publicly (although not on this blog) that I wish the condo controversy could have been handled differently. Maybe less money for a shorter building might have been worth it. I hope the council explored that option at the time. But I didn't sit in those negotiations and it was vital that Ruston do something to survive. The Town could not wait another year operating at a deficit.

I appreciate that this council is looking out for our public safety needs. Again, they are doing many things right in my opinion. But I think it was a "mis-step" to waste money trying to evict The Commencement from their sales center. It was a "mis-step" to fight Stack Hill development. It is a "mis-step" to raise gambling tax under the guise of needing revenue. These are attacks against this group's declared "enemies". I hope they will focus on positive steps to move the important issues forward, not on how to harm those projects and people they don't like.

Thanks again for your comments - let's keep the conversation going!

Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minority voices? There are only ten of them, 740 of us. How can 740 be a minirity.

Ruston Home said...

Well, they are in control via legal means. Their supporters outnumber any opposing or netural people at council meetings. So, for the time being, I think those of us who question their methods and decisions are in the minority. We will see if that remains true at the next election at the end of 2009.