Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Voice From The Past

Phil Parker served Ruston as mayor and council member for many years. Those with history in this town remember his big bushy beard, which eventually caused his departure from the fire department when they started requiring only clean-shaven faces. Phil was known for his dry sense of humor and strong dedication to this little town. Phil raised two children here. His son Aaron sent this email today after hearing about our current struggles...

Hello Karen,

This is Aaron Parker, Philip's son. It's been a long time since we have talked/seen each other.

From afar, I have kept my eye on Ruston via the News Tribune and other anecdotal discussions with my mother who lives just outside the town limits on Orchard Street. My, what drama has transpired over the years. For such a little town, the mayor's position seems to be cursed. :-)

My father would be saddened by the state of the town. From the status of the town hall, to the police chief, and to the situation of the "Point Ruston" project, the town appears to have has lost its way. As a kid growing up in Ruston, I can recall attending the town council meetings, watching my father sit on the council (along with yourself), partaking in civil council meetings. I recall the joy and pride he took in discussing and working on town business and obligations, not once looking out for his benefit, but rather for the benefit of the town as a whole. To this day, I am still proud to have lived in Ruston.
Though I understand the situation former Mayor Transue was in, I am saddened that he chose to resign. Yes, the fight was too much and yes, his health is a concern, but now the town is left without a leader. It is with great hope that the next election cycle will bring in the leadership that the town so desperately needs.

Thank you for providing the information that has been posted on the Ruston Home blog.

Take care Karen. Know that my thoughts are with you and the residents of Ruston.

Regards,

...aaron
Aaron Parker,
SeaTac, WA

2 comments:

James Wingard said...

We can only hope and pray for relief from this evil, ugly cabal which has attached itself to our little town as an absessed scab.

I am convinced the only thing holding this cabal together is mental illness. Pack them up and send them lock, stock and barrel out to Steilacoom, if they will take them.

Beth T said...

Aaron, I'm so glad that you are touching base with your roots! Boy times have changed from the days when you & Kimmly were buying candy at the corner store. UffDa!

People today ask what is it that was so different when your dad was the Mayor... the issues of the day blur in my memory yet not the legacy Phil left in my heart.

To begin with, your father is the only person I know, to this day, that does the crossword puzzle in red ink.(I know he still does the crosswords in heaven!)He empowered me to be brave and do it in ink...though not red yet.

Phil could debate anything and elicit a smile as he left for the day. He made discussing serious issues a welcome endevor. I looked forward to him sitting at the counter and opening himself up to the challenges of the day. Damn I miss him!
What your dad left etched in my being was... are my concerns of the day for the good of the community? period! putting it right back in my lap to ponder. And if it was, it was a go, if not I would need to reconsider the options. Specifics don't matter, it was the process and the interaction.

Those are the things this era has lost sight of in my opinion. What your dad gave all of us were quality threads to weave as we chose to make our community strong and attractive. The current newcomers who are now in control can't seem to open themselves up to reach out and ask "are my concerns for the good of the commuity?".

Aaron, treasure your memories & know that I remember the good times too!
Beth Torbet