Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Huson Statement

Council Member Bradley Huson released this letter at the council meeting last night explaining his reasons for the new council rules. In it, he states he will not respond to any written requests to avoid the burden of freedom of information requests. It is likely that the same restriction holds true for his friends on the council. Here are their phone numbers if you would like to reach them with your comments. Jim Hedrick is still available via email (listed to the right).
Dan Albertson, 253-549-3612
Wayne Stebner, 253-752-2041
Bradley Huson, 253-761-7709

To whom it may concern,

I am sure that most of you are as frustrated as I am over the lack of forward motion that continues on virtually every issue in Ruston. It would seem the inmates of a women’s penitentiary have more of an idea of how to conduct themselves at a public meeting than the majority of citizens who regularly attend our town council meetings. It would also seem that the mayor has absolutely no ability or desire to control the assembled rabble. Because of these things, I have made a motion that lays a few ground rules for the order of the agenda and general public comments.

My biggest concern for Ruston continues to be its fiscal viability. Recently, it was pointed out to me by one of the citizens that because of the duration of the town meetings and the amount of staff at the meetings, the meetings are costing the town between six and seven dollars a minute, which seems expensive, and really seems outrageous considering that very few things are getting accomplished. I think my motion will help.

I am sorry to lump those of you who know how to conduct yourselves in public with those who don’t, but obviously not sorry enough to let the same problems continue unchecked. Many of you have spoken to me since the first of the year, either in person or by telephone. I encourage that form of contact. Because of the amount of money the town was wasted responding to “fishing expeditions” in the form of public information requests, I will not be responding to any emails or writing any of you notes or letters.

To those of you who have spoken to me, I say thank you for your input, support, disagreement, etc. A health exchange of ideas is usually beneficial to all parties.

Again, one of my biggest concerns is money and how much we continue to spend on consultants, two of the biggest being attorneys and planners. It is obvious by the size of the budget that we have for these items that we could do much better. Also, in speaking to a developer in town who has been charged thousands of dollars in consultant fees, I agree that just because the process has been made overly complex and extraordinarily expensive does not mean that it is the best.

The form of the government in Ruston is broken. There is too much going on in too many different areas to expect the mayor to be able to manage the town effectively or even just keep up. It is my opinion that the form of government in Ruston be changed from a mayor/council-led government to a town manager/council form of government. We need a full-time manager to ride herd on this town and to work with the council on managing, scheduling, overtime, hiring, firing, legal issues, planning, development, etc.

I will be trying to get this item on the ballot in November to let the citizens decide. I will be providing more information throughout the spring and summer regarding this issue. One of the reasons that I have given a list of my pet projects is that I do not plan to attend any further study sessions until we have rules of engagement for them and the person running the meeting is capable of doing just that.

I hope this letter has explained some of my actions and some of my thoughts.

Please contact me with questions or comments.
Thank you,
Bradley Huson

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning folks,

Did they win? Did we lose?

It seems that way. The council passed new rules last night. You are no longer permitted to comment on any town business. The council does not want to hear from you.

Council members think their side is the majority. The majority wants Ruston to come to an end. The majority want us to either annex to Tacoma or simply become unincorporated.

Maybe they're right. Maybe there's just a few old-timers left who appreciate the value of a small town.

I'm hearing this morning that you're tired of the fight. You'd rather let this group do what they want. You all just want to live your life and leave the rest to someone else.

If that's the case, then so be it. We can't battle the council with just eight or ten of us. There needs to be a much larger group that cares enough to actually get involved and do some work.

Some of you are showing up at council meetings but that's been ineffective and now the council has completely neutered the voters by cutting off all public input at the meetings.

I've tried to put some ideas together on how to approach this but clearly I stand alone. Yet I've heard no other ideas on how to approach this problem.

I'm going to bug out for now. I'll watch and listen but that's apparently all that can be done.

Good luck, folks.

Ruston Home said...

I don't think you stand alone in your desire to save Ruston or keep speaking out in any manner we can. It's just that this morning some of us need to catch our breath. We got punched in the gut again last night. We need to catch our breath and put some thought into how to proceed. We'll get there...

Anonymous said...

WONDER HOW BRADLEY KNOWS SO MUCH ABOUT THE CONDUCT OF THE INMATES AT THE WOMENS CORRECTION SITE, hummmmmmm!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Bradley Huson doesn't want letters because he doesn't want people to know he has another residence. Wonder where he really lives, 5003 North Highland or 320 36th Ave E in Seattle?

Anonymous said...

Let me ask a question. When the Governor signs a bill does it go into effect immediately? I believe the law has a few guidelines on this, such as 90 days after signature, etc. Just because Bradley and company passed a resolution to limit us, does this mean it took effect immediately? At the same meeting? I think not. I think we need to challange these egregious actions and insist they be null and void based upon unlawful action by the council. In addition, the council must post an agenda that clearly states items to be voted on. We, the people, the voters, have a right to access, a right to question these people and the decisions they are making. We can't just sit back and ignore what's happening, or allow them to take away our constitutional rights.