Sunday, January 20, 2008

Karen's Comments

Wow, it’s been quite a week. Monday night the fire committee meeting erupts into chaos. Tuesday the police chief gets fired. Saturday, our senior council member resigns on the heels of 3 other resignations last month.

We need to take a big breath and relax. Prayer, yoga, whatever works for you – let’s slow down and seek wisdom right now. This is a critical juncture in our history. More than ever, we need to listen and hear each other. As I told the council at the last meeting, the seeds of hate and anger were sown three years ago during the condo debate. We are reaping that harvest. I don’t have the answers, but I’ll share some thoughts. Please add yours ~ it’s our collective wisdom that will show us the next step.

First, I appeal to Ruston’s mayor and council for leadership. You set the political tone. Please don’t belittle your constituents any longer. Part of your duties include taking heat for your decisions. The study session Monday night started out with a speech requiring everyone ‘hush up’ (my words) and a threat to walk out if you didn’t like the way you were being treated. One of you did just that rather than call for calm or attempt to end the badgering of the fire chief that was upsetting the audience.

Please listen to us, even when you disagree. Making faces, holding up your hand when we approach you, pre-planning your actions before the council meetings sets the tone. There are consequences for these actions. The level of frustration you felt on Monday is one of those consequences. You influence whether or not that continues. Every once in a while, change course based on public input even if your inner circle won’t agree.

Just my opinion, but I see the mayor trying more than some of the council members. I don't agree with him sometimes, but he's at least willing to listen.

To the rest of us, I appeal for calm. While the frustration expressed by some on this blog and at meetings is real and well founded, treating each other with respect (even if it’s not deserved) is one of the foundational elements of any sense of community. I am torn between this desire for ‘politeness’ and a growing respect for people’s right to respond as they see fit ~ within limits. I think that limit has been crossed too many times in recent years (by both sides); not just because we have yelled at each other, but because we have not listened.

It’s time to listen now. So first to Mayor Transue and Council Members Stebner, Huson, Hedrick and Albertson, please listen to your citizens. You have been given a great gift. Now more than ever, treat this community with tenderness and care. You will continue to reap what you sow.

And to the rest of us, let’s take that collective breath and listen, too. It’s worth holding our breath and letting our leaders demonstrate the healing they claim to want, if they will.

2 comments:

Charlene said...

I am very grateful to you for giving folks a forum to talk and vent. It's something I've been wanting to do as I listened to the events and didn't get to. When the hydrant was turned off on the now infamous fire and one of my sons was in the burning building and I wondered if someone was trying to kill our firefighters, I would have loved a forum. Now that Jim is being attacked I'm glad for a place to post my support. Thank you!

You and I agree I think, it is the variety of opinion that is valuable for our town and our government. It is that variety that we should be using to create a consensus.

Our present elected officials do need to step up to the plate, but with ears instead of bats. The healing won't be easy, and there will be wrongs that will need to be righted and forgotten responsibilities resurrected and the dust blown off.

Remember the Asarco days...and the work of so many to take in public opinion and create a community vision. Those were very proud days for Ruston, and you and me, and I hope to see them back.

Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your support, Charlene. Given our shared history, your words mean more than you know. The many long hours we have shared cleaning up the park, working to support the fire department, even hours debating town issues seem so long ago these days.

That planning process for the Asarco property is foundational to how I view public life. The way we were able to listen to so many opposing viewpoints, openly discuss them and then reach consensus ~ wow, it was powerful. I firmly we can do that again with the right leadership.

I remember telling you at Phil’s memorial service how much I cared about you, even though we had been on opposite ends of many town issues by then. I had disagreed often with Phil during that time, too. I deeply regret not telling him before his suicide that I loved him regardless of our political differences.

We don’t always get the chance to remind each other of the important things in the midst of these struggles. Let me remind you that I value you and your service to Ruston. I’m not sure what to think about the situation with Jim, but I do know it’s important to openly discuss it. Regardless of whether or not we end up agreeing on that issue, please know I care about you and I’m glad you are involved.