Thursday, January 31, 2008

Letter to Council

Here is an open letter to Ruston Council Member Bradley Huson, who assumed office in January.

Bradley,

As the day nears for our next council meeting I feel a sense of dread and a need to write this letter. I may ask questions here but don't be concerned, they're only for reflection.

At the last Council meeting you initiated your 'Rules of Engagement' as the RC calls it. By reprehending our community in that manner you have succeeded to alienate many more residents than you may care to believe. If you want to stand out as a leader I suggest you do not demoralize those you have taken an oath to serve and to represent.

Bradely, you've been quick to lay down the rules, yet you yourself refuse to be held accountable or admit to your own outbursts. Why is that? What are you afraid of? If your ethics are above board communication & interaction shouldn't be a problem.

I understand my only option to make a comment on town business is to knock on council members doors or call them, aside of the two nights a month I schedule to participate in town meetings? I personally prefer to address my representatives at council meetings where concerns and responses are recorded.

After the last meeting I witnessed Karen Pickett approach you calmly at the council table and as you smirked, Karen cried. I didn't hear the conversation...I didn't need to.

You have a very long road to travel to earn my trust at this rate.

Is this the behavior of the 'Town Hero' Mary Joyce anointed before she resigned? Yes, the 'Jefferson Award' shows up nicely on a Google search....dependable volunteer, with physical & fiscal resources and successes due to your personality & organizational skills. Awesome! If only you could add respect and humility to your qualities we may be able to bridge some very deep rivers while you are in office.

Please remember the Town of Ruston is populated with 750 +/- residents, not serfs for you to rule unquestioned. I can only suggest that you humble yourself, be an individual, step off of your pedestal, refrain from stomping out and take the heat when necessary. This bloc party voting, stomping out and disrespectful smirks is very unproductive and unattractive.

If you are able to do this then let's move on, acknowledge 'our' past behaviors and welcome public comments and interaction in Our Town of Ruston Government. Please make an attempt to work openly and together with all of the community.

If you are unable to do that then I ask you to step down from the council because you are hurting more than helping our Town heal.

Sincerely,
Beth Torbet

No comments: